Just looked at this a little bit closer and I’m actually on the other side of the fence now.
For a heat pump, ecobee reports heating data in two columns:
aux. The compressor column represents compressor runtime, and the aux represents aux runtime. Simple.
For non-heat-pumps, ecobee reports heating data in one column:
aux. This is a little bit confusing, but the aux column generally just represents heat generated at the furnace (heat strips, gas, whatever).
I do not attempt to interpret or change this data when I import it into beestat. I have columns in my database to match ecobee. In the GUI, I generally display compressor data in orange, and aux data in red. If you have non-compressor based heat, I actually just rename and recolor aux data so it looks correct.
In your case, your ecobee is wired in a way that your compressor runtime is being reported in the aux column (like if you had a gas furnace). If you tell beestat you have a compressor it’s now going interpret your data as such and treat the aux column as aux heat.
So what you’ll see is all your normal compressor usage showing up as aux heat. Your temperature profile happens to be showing up “correctly” in orange, but I just adjusted that as well so it will start showing up as an aux heat profile soon enough. This way everything is consistent.
The only real significant impact in the GUI other than colors/names is metrics. You’ll lose the ability to compare your profiles in any meaningful way. Your normal heat profile will be an aux heat profile and won’t get compared to other systems properly.
Open to ideas on how this could be resolved. I’m glad I got this figured out and made consistent, but I’m not sure if there’s a great way to resolve this.